It’s hard to lie because it makes you think. Not every user can lie. Lies should be created from the very beginning; it is necessary to foresee each detail of a story. And this is additional work for the brain. It needs to process the truth and come up with a story that is:
- Does not contradict the facts known to an interlocutor;
- Can’t be verified or disproved.
A lie needs to be created, remembered and confidently told – all this takes time and concentration.
What can reveal a cheater?
Another important signal is blinking. When a person is nervous, he/she blinks more often. So, contrary to what is expected, often a blinking and fidgeting person is not going to deceive you.
Rather, you should beware of such behavior of your interlocutor in a cam chat as the stiffness of movements and the absence of gestures, repetition of the same phrases, pauses before answering and uneven pace of speech.
- Impersonal sentences
Some scholars also argue that liars subconsciously distance themselves from what is said and often use impersonal sentences. In their speech, the pronouns “I”, “me”, “mine” are rarely used, and the names of other people, on the contrary, are not used and are replaced by the pronouns “he” and “she.”
When deceiving, a user speaks unclear and briefly, often jumps from topic to topic or answers a question to a question.
4 ways to bring liars to clean water
It is believed that the more a deceiver tries to hide the signals of his/her body, the more obvious they become.
- Ask your interlocutor on an online video chat to tell the whole story in reverse order, starting from the end and going back to the beginning step by step. Ask clarifying questions, trying to get the most complete and detailed picture of what happened.
- Ask detailed questions, forcing an interlocutor to provide as much details and additional information as possible: “Please, tell me more about this situation …”, “Can you remember …”, “And what happened after …”. When using this technique, first ask a general question, and only then clarify details.
- Do not interrupt and use pauses in the conversation on a random chat to encourage your interlocutor to speak first. Painful silence makes deceivers get nervous.
- Suddenly ask something unexpected, and then return to the topic of conversation, preferably with a previously asked question. A bewildered liar will be confused and lose ground.